The Southside SPCA is a donor-supported, tax-exempt, 501(c)(3) organization that has provided shelter, medical treatment, spay/neuter, and adoption services to over 36,000 puppies, kittens, cats, and dogs since the organization’s inception in 1975. We are a no-kill shelter operating almost entirely with volunteers. We serve twelve largely rural, economically depressed counties in Southside Virginia: Amelia, Brunswick, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Halifax, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Nottoway, Appomattox, and Prince Edward.
- To provide humane care and shelter for abandoned animals.
- To provide loving and responsible homes for our residents.
- To educate the public about spay/neuter programs in order to reduce the over-population of unwanted dogs and cats.
Our Strategic Goals
- Increase adoptions into loving homes and decrease the number of unwanted pets in Southside Virginia.
- Increase spay/neuter awareness and availability and promote responsible pet ownership.
- Complete a new shelter to serve the 12-county area. This will be made possible through tax-deductible donations from the citizens of Southside Virginia.
- Establish endowment support to ensure the shelter can achieve its important mission.
- Increase awareness about the shelter, so we will be the first choice for families looking to adopt a dog or cat in our area.